BETTER HEALTH MINISTRY
The vision of the Better Health Task Force is to create a caring community of vitality, health, and wholeness. As Spiritual beings, our physical health affects our spiritual health and vice versa. Paul has termed our bodies as temples of the living God. We are therefore stewards, custodians, and managers of God’s property; ourselves, our bodies, minds and spirits. We would like to motivate the congregation to follow a healthy lifestyle reflecting our affirmation of life as God’s gift. While health has a different meaning for everyone, the Better Health Team looks to provide educational programs for creating healthy minds, bodies, and spirits, as well as emotional and social support. Proposed programs include classes on nutrition and health, incorporating healthy choices, walking clubs, yoga, supper clubs, information on mental health issues, caregiver support, spiritual direction and family fun night. A caring congregation that promotes the physical and spiritual health of each church member and out into our community; that’s Better Health at FUMC! We invite you to join our team!
The Better Health Small Group/Class series will resume in the Fall with other useful topics. Stay tuned.
Mary McGhee-Pasternak – presentation “When Did We See You…" (Based on Matthew 25:35-45)
Presentation - Seeing Fredericksburg Virginia through the eyes of Christ this presentation will download to your computer (downloads folder)
Fredericksburg is a patchwork community great wealth interspersed with poverty.
- Population 27,025 *
- George Washington’s Boyhood home
- Known for its civil war and colonial history
- Tourism is a major part of the economy
- The average household income is $67,030*
- 15.5% of the population and 10.4% of families were below the poverty line.*
- 19.9% of those under the age of 18 and 8.8% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
- Unemployment 4.2% (664 unemployed)
- Largest ancestry is from Ireland at 12.1%
- Divorce rate is 11.2%
- 1st in bars per capita. More bars per capita than anywhere else in Virginia
Lord, When did we see You… When I was hungry…
Fredericksburg UMC Outreach Food Pantry
- The Food Pantry provides food for several days to those in need. This year, through May, our volunteers distributed 11,000 pounds of groceries providing 740 bags of food for 1,527 people.
- The FUMC Outreach Food Pantry operates Monday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Room 110, immediately behind the Charlotte Street reception desk. There are presently 23 FUMC dedicated volunteers who administer the pantry to those in need.
- The FUMC Food Pantry is the only one of several in the area that operates Monday through Friday throughout the year, except for holidays. It has been in operation for 25 years.
- People requesting food assistance normally are from Fredericksburg and surrounding counties including Caroline and Fauquier. Clients include young families as well as senior citizens.
- Dinner - Cooking and serving a free community dinner at the church, primarily for our homeless population. Twice a month commitment, second and fourth Saturday.
- Breakfast - Cooking and serving a hot breakfast to our homeless population at the church on Tuesday mornings.
- Lunch - Fast Food made with Love! Each week, Micah distributes 300 lunches prepared ahead of time by volunteer groups including FUMC to individuals in our community.